18-26 Wellesley Street East, Auckland Central
X Gallery is located on the corner of Wellesley Street East and Lorne Street. This historic building was built in two stages beginning in 1916 as the Wellesley Street Post Office and expanded in 1927 to accommodate the Central Auckland Telephone Exchange. The building was redeveloped in 2014 in response to the urban context which called for quality retail spaces and modern, desirable office space. The refurbishment included a full structural upgrade of the building which has brought it up to 100% NBS and ensures this historic building can be enjoyed for generations to come.
Nine retail spaces were created along the three building frontages of Wellesley Street East, Lorne Street and Khartoum Place. The shop entrances were designed to sit within the historic neoclassical steel arches and integrate effortlessly with the heritage design. The location of the lobby was moved to Khartoum Place adjacent the Women’s Suffrage Memorial which is a local landmark. The two upper office levels were transformed into a refreshed modern space while retaining existing features that pay homage to the history of the building.